I love this recipe!! I make it at least twice a week because these muffins make for a perfect breakfast. I use Greek yogurt and unsweetened apple sauce in place of butter or oil. You could use all applesauce and no Greek yogurt, but I have found they do not come out as moist. The use of apple sauce does not leave these with an apple taste. I make my own oat flour by blending oats in my Ninja. You could buy oat flour, but it is much more expensive! There are a lot of variations you could do with the recipe based on your preferences.
3 1/2 cups oat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
3/4 cup white sugar (organic)
3/4 cup organic coconut sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup melted smart balance spread
1/2 cup white sugar (organic)
3/4 cup coconut sugar (organic)
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees °F and line 20-24 muffin tins with muffin liners (I prefer the aluminum ones).
- In one bowl whisk together oat flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl whisk together apple sauce, Greek yogurt, white sugar, coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and almond milk.
- Add the bowl of liquid ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ of the way full.
- Bake until muffin tops are a light brown and springy to the touch (21 to 23 minutes).
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a bowl for the topping. Melted smart balance spread should be in a separate bowl. Once the muffins are done, dip muffins in melted butter, and then roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture.
*This was adapted from a recipe found on http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/